Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hidden accounts disappears in Lion

I have to investigate this further, but it seems like hidden user accounts is deleted/not migrated when you upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7.

Update
I have now filed a bug report to Apple.

I will do some more testing to see if it's because the account is hidden or if it's the hidden home folder.

Update 2
Did a test and created some accounts with different settings...

Works: Hidden user account with home folder in /Users
Works: Standard user account but with home folder hidden (in my case /var/.home/)
Does NOT work: Hidden user account with hidden home folder

Update 3
Apple has now recognized this as a known issue, so hopefully this will get fixed in future installers of Lion.

3 comments:

eightblackcats said...

Same problem here.. Though I think it's because my hidden account was file vaulted, and stored in a different location on my hard disk.

I'm trying to work out how to resolve this now....

I have a feeling it's going to be tough.

I should have unhidden the account, and moved it back to where the OS expected it to be (ie. the user folder) and then upgraded to 10.7

I could potentially roll back to 10.6 and do this, but I'd prefer to work out how to link a new account (with the same name) to my already built sparse bundle...

I would just create a new account and get the data I need from the sparse bundle, but you can no longer just file vault one user, you have only have the option in Lion to do the whole system, which I wanted to avoid.

What are your thoughts?

eightblackcats said...

I'd be interested to know if this works:

Hidden user account with home folder in /Users but . rather than

This way it's in the directory OS X expects it, but hidden.

There not much point having a hidden user account if it shows up clearly in the /Users folder, when you work in the tech community.

PS. How are you hiding you user account in the pref pane, are you altering the USER ID to sub 500 and then altering the plist?

Marcus Jaensson Wahlstam said...

I will try that, hopefully sometime this week.

I'm hiding it using the sub 500 UID method. And on top of that, I'm running a script every night on the computers to make sure the user is there and if not, it will create it and set ARD permissions and so on...